SERVICE INFORMATION SHEET - Teen Program
The goals of the teen program are:
- To strengthen and support youth and their families by providing professional counselling, educational programs, and youth/family activities
- To increase problem solving and relationship building skills through education and positive group activities
- To reduce bullying, isolation, drug and alcohol abuse, crime and teenage pregnancy
- To increase empathy/social & emotional literacy
The educational component of the Teen Program may be presented in a school setting, in the community or in a Parent Link Centre.
- Why Try? Is a program that teaches youth to overcome challenges and achieve their goals.
- Building Relationships is a program that teaches youth about communication, conflict resolution, dating and healthy relationships.
- Workshops on specific topics are available on request.
Mentoring provides an opportunity for youth to associate with a positive role model of another age. It assists them in developing relationship building skills, empathy, coping and life skills.
- Between Friends is a program that matches junior high school students with a senior. Youth learn relationship skills, empathy, communication skills and gain knowledge about a different generation, while providing companionship to a senior.
- The Community Mentoring Program matches a volunteer mentor with a youth who benefits from having a positive role model.
Professional counselling provides support to teens and their families to assist in navigating the teen years.
With support from Provincial & Municipal governments, all services are available at minimal or no charge to residents.